Marine Corps Anniversary Service
Laurel Hill East
Join active and retired members of the United States Marine Corps and veterans at Laurel Hill East as they commemorate the 246th anniversary of the founding of the Marine Corps. The US Marine Corps was founded in Philadelphia on November 10, 1775, at the Tun Tavern near the post on the Delaware River.
A service will take place at the gravesite of Brigadier General Jacob A. Zeilin, the first United States Marine who served as the seventh Commandant of the Corps from 1864 to 1876. He is also credited with approving the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, the Marine Corps emblem still proudly in use today. Following that, there will be a short tour of veterans killed in action, led by retired Temple Professor, Anthony Waskie.
This event is co-sponsored by The Legion Post 405, MOLLUS, and the General George Gordon Meade Society of Philadelphia.
This tour departs from Laurel Hill East’s Gatehouse entrance at 3822 Ridge Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19132. Information on directions, parking, and visiting guidelines are linked here to better plan your visit.