Cinema in the Cemetery: The Sandlot
Laurel Hill West
Pack a picnic, gather some friends, and enjoy an evening under the stars! As the sun sets over the historic tombs, the grainy joys of the film experience will be brought to life during the Friends of Laurel Hill’s annual Cinema in the Cemetery series.
Based on our many baseball connections at the both cemeteries including Harry Wright, the Father of modern baseball and Harry Kalas, beloved announcer for the Phillies, July’s feature film will be The Sandlot directed by David Mickey Evans and presented in conjunction with the Philadelphia Film Society.
In the summer of 1962, a new kid in town is taken under the wing of a young baseball prodigy and his rowdy team, resulting in many adventures. Scotty Smalls moves to a new neighborhood with his mom and stepdad, and wants to learn to play baseball. Rodriguez, the neighborhood baseball guru, takes Smalls under his wing – soon he becomes part of the local baseball buddies. They fall into adventures involving baseball, treehouse sleep-ins, the desirous lifeguard at the local pool, the snooty rival ball team, and the travelling fair. Beyond the fence at the back of the sandlot menaces a legendary ball-eating dog called The Beast, and the kids inevitably must deal with him.
This film is rated PG.
Inclement Weather Date: Saturday, July 16
Time: Doors open at 7:30 PM; Movie begins at 8:30 PM
Movie run time: 1 hour, 41 minutes
- $20/General Admission (Ages 13 and up)
- $17/Seniors (Ages 65+) and Students with ID
- $15/Members of the Friends of Laurel Hill and the Museum
- $10/Youth (Ages 6-12)
- Free/Ages 5 and under
Please note – youth and children must be accompanied by an adult.
Tickets must be purchased in advance.
TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE CEMETERY.
Use of the inclement weather date will be determined by 3:00 PM on Friday, July 15 and will be emailed to all ticket holders, updated on our website, and on our social media accounts. We use the hourly forecast at www.weather.com to make the decision. If the inclement weather date is utilized, we will make the weather call by 3:00 PM Saturday, July 16. If we will need to reschedule the event completely, it will be communicated in the abovementioned ways.
EVENT ENTRANCE: Check in will be at Laurel Hill West Cemetery’s Conservatory, NOT the first building you see.
- Directions to are linked here to better plan your visit.
- A reminder email will also be sent to ticket holders the day before the event with further event details.
- The movie will occur near the Conservatory at Laurel Hill West, which sits in the middle of the cemetery. If you are using a GPS please enter this address to get to Laurel Hill West: 340 Belmont Avenue Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004.
- When you arrive and enter the cemetery you will pass two sets of gates and see a white line on the road. Follow this line it to the Conservatory where you will be directed to park.
- NOTE FOR UBER/LYFT RIDERS: Have your driver go into the cemetery following the above directions—otherwise, you will have a 5-10 minute walk to the event location.
**Check your email inbox (including Spam/Junk) the day before the event for additional information and directions.**
- You are welcome to bring refreshments and snacks.
- Portable toilets, including an accessible toilet, will be available.